4 Hand Massage – All You Need To Know
Most massage treatments are given by a single therapist. A four hands massage, otherwise known as a four-handed massage, offers a different kind of experience. During a session, two therapists work on the same client to perform a synchronized full-body massage.
According to therapists at the Mandala Day Spa, four hand massage originates in the Ayurvedic tradition. According to contemporary practitioners, it is highly effective in balancing energy levels throughout the body.
Here are a few useful things you should know about this type of treatment:
1. It is even more relaxing than a conventional massage: When you get a regular massage, you can readily gauge the location of your therapist’s hands. However, the brain doesn’t find it so easy to keep track of four different hands moving over the body.
After a few minutes, your brain will stop trying to make sense of all this information. Instead, you’ll feel fully immersed in the experience. The movements therapists use in four hand massage are usually slow and rhythmic rather than brisk and energizing. This form of massage can be useful for people who find it hard to “let go” during treatment.
When you are deeply relaxed, your muscles become more pliable. This means that both therapists can work more effectively to reduce tension in your body. You may even fall asleep during your massage.
View this post on Instagram
2. It takes just as long as a regular massage: You may have two therapists, but that doesn’t mean the treatment will take half the time. Your therapists may offer treatments lasting 50 minutes, 75 minutes, or even a couple of hours.
3. It is expensive: There’s no getting around it – it’s not cheap. Four hand massages require the services of two professional therapists. Therefore, you should expect to pay accordingly.
4. It gives you all the benefits of a conventional massage: Whether you have one therapist or two, you will reap all the rewards of a standard treatment. These include reduced stress levels, improved flexibility, improved circulation, improved skin tone, and reduced muscle tension.
5. It requires a high level of skill: When giving a four hands massage, both therapists have to stay attuned to one another’s movements. They must have the ability to deliver treatment intuitively, without disturbing the client by talking to each other. Their aim is to apply an equal amount of pressure to both sides of the body, which takes practice.
Usually, one therapist acts as the leader, with the other following their movements. However, if they are both highly skilled, you won’t be able to tell who is leading who.
6. It can incorporate different massage styles: A four hand massage can include Swedish, deep tissue, shiatsu, and other techniques. Be sure to check with your therapists if you have any comments or questions. Even if you want a deep tissue massage, you should not be in pain or significant discomfort. If your massage does not feel good, speak up.