Best Lavender Essential Oil
- Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
- Best Lavender Essential Oils
- Bulgarian Lavender Essential Oil, Pure Body Naturals
- Radha Beauty Lavender Essential Oil
- Organic Lavender Essential Oil, Mary Taylor Naturals
- Now Solutions Lavender Essential Oil
- Plant Therapy Lavender Essential Oil
- Majestic Pure Lavender Oil
- Artizen Lavender Essential Oil
- BargzOils Lavender Essential Oil
- DoTerra Lavender Essential Oil
- Lavender Essential Oil by Sun Essentials
- Key Differences between Lavender Oil Qualities
There’s a lot to be said about the benefits of lavender oil, it’s calming and relaxing as well as emotionally balancing. It’s also a deliciously woody floral fragrance! However, while you might want to buy the best essential lavender oil for massage use, with over thirty types of lavender flowers available and lots of derivatives, there are different levels of qualities too.
A perennial evergreen plat, lavender has been used for over 2,500 for its medicinal qualities (it’s excellent for cleaning cuts and skin irritation) as well as its cosmetic benefits. It’s generally harvested from the Mediterranean, Europe, Africa, the Middle East and parts of India, thriving best in dry, rocky and sandy areas with oceanic hot climates.
Interestingly, the name lavender comes from Latin “lavare” which means to wash. Even thousands of years ago, lavender was used by Romans for bathing and washing clothes. Nowadays, it’s found in aromatherapy candles, body lotions, hand-creams, soaps, shampoos, room sprays and more. That’s because its aroma is so distinctive, soothing, instantly harmonising and brings with it a feeling of serenity.
Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
There are numerous benefits to lavender oil. It can be used medicinally, as an aromatherapy aid and also cosmetically.
- Aromatherapy oil: Lavender is a mild sedative used to alleviate stress. There are various studies that show that lavender reduces cortisol levels in the brain (one of the stress hormones). Cortisol is known for lowering immunity levels so lavender is excellent for supporting the immune system.
It also balances hormones and reduces nervous tension. For some people it is even beneficial in sleep deprivation as it encourages feelings of drowsiness.
- Massage: lavender oil is used to help reduce muscular tension and in medicine, lavender fights bacteria so it’s good for cuts and inflamed, sore skin, use it on skin irritation, insect bites, cuts and bruises.
- Skincare: Lavender is a known antioxidant, which is vital for cell renewal and that’s why many skincare creams use lavender. Used properly and with the correct levels of dilution, lavender can help to keep skin plump, firm and youthful looking.
- Home flagrance: lavender oil is a wonderful essential oil to use when washing clothes or to spray on bed linen and bath towels for a relaxing experience. You can also place a few drops in bath water for a relaxing bathing session.
When Not to Use Lavender Oil
If you’re pregnant, do not use lavender oil as it is a muscle relaxant and might bring on labour (especially in the third trimester). It also affects hormone levels so shouldn’t be used in prepubescents. It’s best to avoid using Lavender essential oil while on medication that could induce drowsiness, or when undergoing anaesthesia.
So which are the best lavender oils? Here are our reviews:
Best Lavender Essential Oils
Bulgarian Lavender Essential Oil, Pure Body Naturals
At $16 per bottle (depending on the retailer) is this 100% pure, independently tested therapeutic grade lavender oil which comes with a glass eye dropper. The product is steam distilled and benefits from a strong, natural scent. This oil is 100% pure with no chemicals and gathered through artisan distillers around the world. Then, it is bottled in the USA and distributed. Ideal for soothing and calming the mind, use in massage and for reducing headaches, this is an antioxidant and antimicrobial product packaged in a small, handbag size bottle ideal for travelling.
Radha Beauty Lavender Essential Oil
This therapeutic lavender oil comes in a 4 ounce bottle and retails at just under $14 (depending on where you buy it from). It’s designed for promoting relaxation, reducing insomnia and tension and is ideal for aromatherapy massage, spa use and home care. Derived from France (where lavender grows abundantly in Provence), the oil is concentrated, therefore there is no dilution involved.
Organic Lavender Essential Oil, Mary Taylor Naturals
This organic lavender oil by Mary Taylor Naturals retails at approximately $15 (depending on where you purchase it from) and is 100% pure therapeutic grade oil that is premium quality and perfect for aromatherapy use as well as on insect bites, burns, cuts, skin irritation and for nausea. Sweet and fresh, it comes in a large, 4 ounce bottle with a strong glass dropper. Certified organic, it is free from any chemicals and pesticides.
Now Solutions Lavender Essential Oil
Packaged in a large. 4 ounce bottle is the Now Solutions Lavender Essential Oil which retails at just under $20 (depending on where you purchase it from). High-grade lavender oil, this oil is distilled direct from the flowering area of the lavender plant. Soothing, calming and balancing, this is 100% pure oil, free from chemicals and pesticides, environmentally friendly and tried and tested for quality.
Plant Therapy Lavender Essential Oil
At just under $6.50 (depending on retailer) is this useful handbag size essential oil which measures 10ml. It is 100% pure, undiluted lavender oil that is steam distilled from lavender flowers and has no additives or chemicals. Therapeutic, it’s idea for the bath, for use as a body oil (blended with lotion) and as a soothing skin topical oil. Plant Therapy uses multiple testing to check their quality and this oil is very high grade.
Majestic Pure Lavender Oil
This therapeutic grade, premium quality lavender oil comes in a large 4 ounce bottle and is distributed by Majestic Pure. Retailing at $16, depending on where you purchase it from, it is steam distilled in France and packed in the USA. Ideal for aromatherapy use and for topical use.
Artizen Lavender Essential Oil
At just under $9 (depending on retailer) is the Artizen Lavender Essential Oil. This therapeutic grade oil is 100% pure and undiluted with no chemicals or pesticides. The bottle size is 1 ounce and contains natural, high grade potent lavender oil, tested for purity and quality so you know you’re buying one of the best possible lavender oils available. This is packed in a glass bottle with a glass dropper and the bottle’s glass is infused with a UV coloured coating to prevent deterioration.
BargzOils Lavender Essential Oil
Packaged in a one ounce bottle, this BargzOils product contains pure, therapeutic grade French lavender oil, ideal for aromatherapy use and medicinal purposes. This lavender oil uses pure certified USDA lavender oil and is also organic, with no chemicals or pesticides, it’s antimicrobial and 100% safe with a fragrance that lasts all day long.
DoTerra Lavender Essential Oil
The most expensive lavender oil on this list is the DoTerra at just under $30 (depending on retailer). This essential oil is paced in a 15 ml bottle (0.5oz) and is ideal for aromatherapy use, insomnia problems and skin irritation. 100% pure, therapeutic grade essential oil with no pesticides, chemicals or other ingredients.
Lavender Essential Oil by Sun Essentials
At $8.99 (depending on retailer) is the good value Sun Essentials lavender oil packaged in a generous 4 ounce bottle. Expect therapeutic grade pure lavender oil which is chemical free and pesticide free. The aroma on the Sun Essentials product does not last as long as the others mentioned here, but you do get a lot of oil for the exceptionally keen price.
Key Differences between Lavender Oil Qualities
- Growing conditions: Lavender needs to be kept warm therefore it needs heat so typically grows well in dry and sunny climates. Although lavender does tolerate rainfall, drainage is imperative to the plant’s overall quality.
- Soil quality: Nitrogen in soil can harm lavender plants. The best lavender oil will be harvested between July and August from a moist yet warm climate with minimal cloud coverage. A very humid climate can damage plants as they become susceptible to fungus.
The best essential lavender oil come from distilling fresh lavender flowers (not the leaves or the stem areas) this type of oil should be clear and a pale orange colour, it’s also strongly aromatic.
Bear in mind that there are many synthetic lavender oils which are developed in laboratory conditions. These are inferior to natural lavender essential oil because only pure plant oil contains the necessary compounds that benefit. Make sure to use only organic natural lavender essential oils and give your home, body and soul a truly royal sensorial treatment.